Friday, April 11, 2014

Roger Blough Arrives in Sault 4-7-2014

The Roger Blough arrived in Sault Ste. Marie on Monday, April 7, 2014, just as I arrived there with my family including my grandchildren.  Two of them are interested in watching the boats and were excited to be part of this day.  The Blough was the first upbound commercial boat of the season.

The Blough was accompanied by the USCG Mackinaw and the Canadian Coast Guard Pierre Radisson.

The Roger Blough continued her trip through the Soo Locks and waited for a convoy to proceed up to Lake Superior.  The convoy consisted of the Edwin H. Gott,  Edgar B. Speer, Steward J. Cort and Sam Laud left the Sault midweek.  But the sailing was tough going.  On Thursday the Blough sustained damage of a 3' crack in her quarter. She is currently on her way back to the Sault following the Mackinaw.  The Blough will stop at the Carbide dock for assessment of the damage.




An enthusiastic group of boatwatchers was on hand to greet the Blough.  The ice in the St. Marys River had to be pushed out of the way so the Blough could move up to the dock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was an older gentleman there wearing a blue coat and camouflage hat who tried to ask me questions while I was assessing the damage. If you read this sir, I want to apologize for being short. I was trying to focus on my job and tried to find you after when I had some time but you were already gone. You have my sincere apologies, I hope you read this.

WPgirl said...

Thanks so much for the pictures and updates. Wish I could be there.
Lynda in lower Michigan